1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
1 slice of mild-flavoured bread - optional
200g baked beetroot, peeled
1 garlic clove, preferably pre-cooked. (Baked or simmered in water in saucepan)
about 1 tablespoon tahini
juice 1 lemon or lime - to taste
- Toast cumin seeds in a dry frying pan over medium heat, shaking the pan, for 1-2 minutes, till darkened and aromatic. While hot, crush seeds using mortar and pestle, or in a spice grinder.
- Pulse bread in food processor, add beetroot, garlic, tahini, and lemon juice to taste. Blend to a paste.
- Season to taste, adding extra cumin as desired. This dip can take a lot more ground cumin than you might imagine.
- Serve with flat bread, crudites or brown ice-crackers.
- The bread is optional – the flavour will be more concentrated if you do not use the bread, and less creamy.
- To soften the beetroot flavour even further, add labne or plain Greek yogurt.
- If you omit the bread and the labne, you will have a dairy and gluten free dish.